Travel Wish: Cannes

>> May 26, 2009

I love movies. I loved the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year, and I get giddy over beaches. So it shouldn't come as any surprise that I wish I could have gone to the Cannes Film Festival that ended on Sunday.

Brad Pit in Inglourious Basterds
I would have tried so hard to see this man.. I love me some Brad Pitt. Its a disease, I have to admit. {picture credit: Telegraph.co.uk}

Look at that Beach!

Part of the reason that I like Film Festivals, are of course, for the movies. And when we saw the movie stars in Park City a few months ago, I almost died. But, the real reason I love the fests is for their pushing the envelope mentality. For example, this year at Cannes there was a director, Mr. Lou Ye, that despite censor bans in China, has a film at the festival featuring gay Chinese men in a sexual relationship. I'm not sure I would want to see the film necessarily, but I applaud him for standing on a free speech principle. Read his story: Censor-defying Chinese director back at Cannes.

Another interesting film shows the struggle of the people of Rwanda. After the genocide in 1994, the different groups have been trying to get along. The film, My Neighbor My Killer, featured in this article:Rwanda's killers and victims shown side by side at Cannes, shows how hard that must be, and the successes and the failures in the slowly healing African country.

Last but not least, Francis Ford Coppola, the man behind The Godfather , previewed his new film, Tetro ,in Cannes. See story here. I love The Godfather saga.

So I want to go! How cool would it be to be in Cannes when all of this is going on? Some day..

* To see more of my Travel Wishes, click here.

4 comments:

Ashley May 26, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

We should go someday!

Keri May 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

Can I go with you guys to the next Sundance Film festival?

Nicole May 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

Yeah. I think we should actually get good tickets this year though. I'm going to be watching for the lotteries and stuff more this year, so we know what's coming and what we absolutely want to see.

Kim J May 27, 2009 at 9:12 PM  

Oh I would love to go to Cannes!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP