Dr Pepper is Heaven

>> February 7, 2009

I haven't written in awhile. At least, not really written with updates and information on my life; just with little tidbits and lists here and there. So, I thought on this Saturday morning I would start by babbling. Babbling is one of those things.. I do best ;) haha.

A week and a half ago or so, I went and saw KITE with Kim at the University of Utah. It was a very interesting film, and I really liked it. It focuses on life with an ever changing border - between Lebanon and Israel. They have a Middle East Center at the University, and they are sponsoring Middle Eastern films there, about once a week, that is open to the public for free. This is how we saw KITE. It was fun, I hope to do it again and go see another one of the films. They are also having discussions and workshops as well, there is one about Middle Eastern Women that I really want to go to. After the movie, Kim and I went to Lunaberry on 4th South. It was really good! I had never been there before, and Kim was right, the crepes are really good! And they have funky French music playing. I like it.


Right after seeing the film with Kim, I got sick. Yuck. My dad and I both had the flu, and Tim was sick too, but I'm not really sure if he really got what we had because he was only sick for a day or two. So yuckie. I still have the stupid cough and am really tired. I hate being sick. However, having so much "down time" and not wanting to go around and get everyone sick, it gave me a lot of time to read my books and really make a dent in my 50 book project. I managed to finish Anderson Cooper's Memoir, which I LOVED. It was really fun to kind of "get in his head" and see things from his point of view. I loved me some Anderson before, but now its even worse. I'm sure I'm driving my sister crazy with my "Yeah, and did you know.. ?" comments of random Anderson Cooper trivia. Oh well.Link
I also read Veil of Roses, by Laura Fitgerald; and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kid. I enjoyed both books. Quite a lot. Veil of Roses is about an Iranian girl that has escaped having an arranged marriage so far by going to University in Tehran, but now she is done with her studies, and will need to get married soon. Her parents are able to get her a passport and one-way ticket to visit her married sister in Arizona. She has three months to find a husband, and get married, so that she never has to go back to the oppressive "Revolutionized" Iran. It was more of a fun read then a cultural one, but I did enjoy seeing Victoria Secret and Starbucks through the eyes of Tamila in the book.

The Secret Life of Bees.. I loved! It was so good! I really need to go rent the movie now that I have read it. The story is really good, it's during the 1960 Civil Rights movement in South Carolina. I really liked it, it was one of those feel good, southern books. Almost reminded me of Fried Green Tomatoes.

Being sick also kept me from going to my first day of Tutoring with The IRC, which is a bummer. But I am excited for this week! We are going to have a Valentine's Day themed party, and teach the kids about collages. I am excited. I wonder if I can take pictures of the kids. Hmmm.

I don't talk about my Daddy very much. BUT I do have to mention that my daddy loves me. Haha. A couple of days ago my dad was going to go pick my brother up something to eat at KFC. He asked me if I wanted anything and I asked for chicken fingers; and then I was like "OOOH! I want a fountain drink! Will you get me a Dr Pepper?" (anyone who knows me.. knows I love me some fountain drinks! They are so MUCH better than from the can or bottle!). Anyway, so my dad said yeah he'd get me the drink and went on his way. When he came home he had two drinks in his hand, one from KFC, and one from the gas station. They didn't have Dr Pepper at KFC and he had gone to the gas station to get me a Dr Pepper fountain drink! How nice is that?! I love my daddy.


In other news, my Grandma Jean is home! I am so excited. I haven't seen her yet, or much really this week, I didn't want to get her sick so I stayed away! My whole family has been pretty sick with different things, (my mom had a bad bout of asthma too), so we haven't really visited much. I think my extended family is mad at us for this, but I would really rather not see Grandma and have her not get sick and them mad at me, than the other way around!! My Uncle and his wife.. ~ sigh ~ BUT that's not the point, family drama will always be just that: drama. But my Grandma is home now and that just makes me so much happier. I HATED seeing her in the Nursing Home. It made me sad every time. She didn't belong there. Sure she has some problems, and needs a lot of assistance right now, but she's still very much there "upstairs."

3 comments:

Amanda M February 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

Yay! I am glad your grandma is home!! And that is awesome that you finished so many books! I am working on a list to and just finished one last night.
Dr. Pepper! Mmmmmmmm!! I want some now!! :0)

Ardie February 9, 2009 at 12:40 AM  

I'm glad you're feeling better and so glad that your grandma is home! It was wise of you to stay away while you were sick. Don't worry about your extended family being upset; they'll get over it. :)

Alisha Chase April 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM  

Dr. Pepper is heaven! I concur completely... and what an amazing daddy that would go in search to get you a Dr. Pepper.... He really does love you!!! A LOT!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP