Amazed. Infuriated. Pissed. Helpless.

>> June 20, 2010

Last night as I started to get into my pajamas, took an 800mg ibuprofen for my mouth, and was just going to get settled into my bed. My mom came down the stairs to let me know that my Grandma's nursing home had completely messed up, to no other. I'm still in amazement, like its some sort of bad dream. What the HELL?!

Come to find out what happened is she was given someone else's pills, with the same first name. My grandma is NOT a pain patient, she is not a hospice patient, the only reason she was really in the stupid effing home was because we wanted her to be safe. We TRUSTED the facility to be able to care for her well being, so that she wouldn't fall, and so her medication could be on a set administration schedule. That trust is completely obliterated. But despite her not being a hospice patient, she was given a HUGE dose of extended release morphine tablets, along with two different types of anti seizure medications. She doesn't have seizures - and even then, the doses she was given are NOT okay for an elderly patient in the first place. Shit.

I am now sitting on the computer in the waiting room, competely in amazement. This is my worst nightmare.

She is slowly coming around. She has been on a breathing machine, with a scuba-diver looking mask, and an anti narco drip. She still recognizes us, and understands, or at least she does now, for the last few hours. Just competely confused on what the hell is going on. I think as soon as she truly realizes what happened, and gets her gusto back, you aren't going to want to hear them fighting expletives that will be coming out of her mouth.

I love you Grandma!



But you have to get better so we can DANCE!!


11 comments:

Nolie June 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

OMG I would be flipping out on that place. Keeping grandma in my thoughts that she comes through quickly and raises hell. It is completely unacceptable.

Roberta June 20, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

I'm praying for her and hoping she will get better fast.

Lin June 21, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

I hope she gets better really soon & I hope that place has really nice apology check for you guys.

That type of negligence is totally unacceptable.

Kim J June 21, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

That is so crazy! I'm glad she is doing better and hopefully will recover completely. What a stupid place to make such a big mistake!

Unknown June 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM  

Oh my gosh, Nicole. That makes me so sad!!! I can't believe the nurse would make such a horrible mistake. I really hope your grandma recovers completely!

jenny wilson June 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

best wishes to your grandmax

Ashley June 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

Oh no. I hope she's doing better. That is so upsetting.

Ardie June 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

Nicole, I hope your grandma us up and raising hell. I'm so sorry you all were put in this situation. I think Lina is right. The nursing home had better have a nice check to go along with their apology.

K.Pete June 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

oh no!!! I'm so so so sorry to hear of this!! Best wishes to your grandma and family! I've been in an ICU with a loved one on a breathing machine - just waiting to find out the verdict ... it's not a fun place to be.

*hugs to you*!!

Unknown June 27, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

Nicole...I hope your Grandma recovers soon. So sorry to hear about the home screwing up her medications. I found your blog via the Lady Bloggers Society and thought I would drop by to say "Hi". I love your blog and have bookmarked it so I can visit it often.

French major...wow I love that language!! Kudos to you girl!!

I am really new to blogging, but have had fun with it so far. Hope you visit my blog to say hello.

http://www.SomethingNewEachWeek.com

Ceya!!

Allie

Amanda M June 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM  

Holy crap!!!!! That is HORRIBLE!!!! ERRRRRR!!! I am so mad...... And I have never even met your grandma!!!! I cant believe they made such a horrible mistake!! They are SO lucky that it didnt turn out worse!!!!
Oh man!!! I am so sorry you guys had to go through this!!!!
Let me know if I can do anything for you!!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP