Excited! Huh?

>> February 19, 2010

I have never been one to be excited to go see the Doctor. But, as I type that, I ask myself WHO IS?! However, I am excited to go to the Doctor next month. I haven't had health insurance since before my stupid bout with Swine Flu (remember that? that was fun), and that was at the beginning of November. Which was when my shitty retail job decided to drop me from insurance, and since I was turning 26 during the next quarter, my Dad's insurance dropped me as well. How cool was that?

Then I got my new job, and I ranted about how their insurance is expensive. So, I turned it down, and have now bought my own personal plan. For about half what I would pay through work. (Half!) I could have paid much less.. but since, I plan on actually using the insurance, I didn't want a super mega deductible. So yay for Altius.

I could so go on about how that's why this country needs a socialized health care system, but I'm talking about myself today, not everyone else. I'll keep it short-and-sweet, I was lucky to have the money to pay for my tamiflu, and so thankful that my mom paid for me to go see the Doctor, because that pig flu... sucked. What about those people that don't have my kind of luck?

Back to me, and my excitement. While I was at the Doctor getting checked for the Super Swine, my mom's doctor was feeling my neck and she said, "Have you ever had your thyroid checked?" I look at her.. "errr, no?" And, she went on to tell me about how I should get it checked, because it looks like I might have hypothryoidism. YES! So no, that's NOT what I'm excited about.

These are some of the symptoms.. and some of them, definitely sound like me.


  • unable to lose weight with diet and exercise

  • low blood temperature

  • fatigued / exhausted

  • pains / aches in joints, hands, and feet

  • feeling restless

  • mood swings

  • getting frequent infections

  • severe menstrual cramps

  • dry eyes

  • eyes sensitive to light

  • have dizzy spells, with headaches

  • recurrent sinus infections

  • lightheadedness

AND the last month or so I've had this weird feeling in my throat, like a dull pain almost. Well, I was looking yesterday, and a "feeling of fullness" and neck pain, are also signs of having an issue with an underactive thyroid.
.. and as if all that wasn't enough, my mom's birth-sister has had thyroid issues. Yay me. Gotta love genetics.

Soo.. I'm excited to find out if that's my problem, because then, maybe I won't, oh ya know, be cold all the time, not get sick everytime anyone around me thinks about being sick, and maybe I can get past this weight-loss plateau!

Aren't you glad you tuned in for this great story? It's exciting to me.. and a little scary. I don't want any kind of crazy radiation procedure on my neck. Eep!

(Next health goal.. Dental Insurance!)

5 comments:

Keri February 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

That is awesome that you are going to have health insurance soon! Are you going to my doctor to check everything out? Love you.

Kim J February 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Oh no that sucks! At least hopefully you'll know what's wrong and can fix it and get better but that is scary! I'm glad you're able to get insurance, that makes life less stressful.

Roberta February 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM  

Hope you find out if that is what it is. Take care.

Linda February 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Hi, just passing by and read your story. Not a fan of doctors here either. Hope you get your health issues diagnosed and everything gets better for you.

Anonymous,  February 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

The one thing I do like about the doctor is that you can turn your worry over to them and they can fix nearly everything these days!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP