Truly Outrageous!

>> April 17, 2009

When I was very young my favorite cartoon character was JEM. I was obsessed. Many mornings I would go over to my Aunt Julie's house early early in the morning to be babysat. My dad would drop me off, get me all set up and comfy on my Grandma Jean's bed, and then I would watch the two episodes of JEM that were on every morning. I loved it! I was obsessed. My favorite wasn't Jerrica/JEM, but was Kimber. I also really liked Stormer, even though she was part of the Misfits (read: bad girl), I always felt like she didn't want to be bad, and it wasn't her fault that she had been born into an evil family with crazy sisters. haha.

Aja, Kimber, JEM, Shana


Stormer

Then, as most shows eventually do, JEM was canceled. A new TV show: Barbie, was introduced in JEM's time slot. Now, I was a true girly girl little kid, I loved Barbies, and by the end of my childhood, I had over 100 of them. But I hated this show! I had fits and freak outs every time Barbie came on instead of JEM. I wouldn't watch Barbie, just because it had taken my favorite show's place. Officially, this will be considered my very first protest.

I didn't really have a lot of JEM memorabilia, I did have an awesome Barbie set that I got the Christmas after I turned 5. It was awesome. It was like a Rock Band set. The attic in my fancy Barbie house served as the recording studio, I had a keyboard, guitars, microphone stands, it was the best! I think my fascination came from wanting to be JEM and the Holograms.

If I had a conversation with JEM I think I would have asked her how she was able to change clothes, for example when she morphed from JEM to Jerrica, I never understood where her clothes went, or where the new ones came from. Or was it all just a hologram? So she was really still wearing the same outfit, everyone just thought she was wearing something else. And, why didn't anyone ever notice that although JEM and Jerrica were supposed to be friends, Jerrica never came to the JEM and the Holograms concerts??

Part of the first episode..



This post was written from a Writing Prompt (see below) found on twentysomethingwriters.com. Y'all should check it out and join in!!

Digimon Dialogue - Writing Prompt

Who was your favorite cartoon character as a child? No holding back, admit it! Did you have a lot of collector’s items (stuffed animals, bed sheets, figurines, etc) of them? Are they worth any money currently?

Imagine you were able to meet your favorite cartoon character. How would you meet? (Maybe they came alive off of your bed-sheets!) What would you say? Write a brief (or extended) dialog between the two of you

4 comments:

Alisha Chase April 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

I don't even remember who JEM is..... But i think she looks pretty cool!

Fidget Midget April 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Jem was my favorite cartoon too. I loved the whole concept of the show and the way they looked. I think Jem and Kimber were my favorites growing up. I never liked Shana though because her hair looked like a bunch of grapes, haha.

Amanda M April 19, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

So I have heard people talk about it before and she is always in those "How well do you rembmer 80's TV shows" quizzes, but I dont think I have ever seen and episode of it!! Haha!! I was probably to busy watching that Barbie show!!

Kim J April 25, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

I liked Jem. Their hair is so cool and the theme song is hilarious. My favorite cartoon was My Little Ponies. Also Care Bears. Ah those were the days when you could just watch cartoons all day long.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP