Happy 200th Lincoln!

>> February 12, 2009

Happy 200th Birthday
Abraham Lincoln!!
The ballot is stronger than the bullet ~ Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln has always been one of my favorite presidents. He had such courage, to change things. Changes that are still very prominent today, changes that really served as catalysts for more, bigger changes. I love it.

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm ~ Abraham Lincoln

Lincoln himself said these words about his origins, "I was born Feb. 12, 1809, in Hardin County, Kentucky. My parents were both born in Virginia, of undistinguished families--second families, perhaps I should say. My mother, who died in my tenth year, was of a family of the name of Hanks.... My father ... removed from Kentucky to ... Indiana, in my eighth year.... It was a wild region, with many bears and other wild animals still in the woods. There I grew up.... Of course when I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher ... but that was all."

As he got older, Lincoln was always trying to gain more knowledge - to better himself. He worked various jobs, including being a captain in the Black Hawk War. He married Mary Todd and they had 4 children, all boys. However, only one boy lived into adulthood. After working 8 years in the Illinois legislature, Lincoln ran for State Senator in 1858. Lincoln lost the Senate race, however the race improved his popularity, and allowed him to receive the Republican nomination for President in 1860. He won that race, becoming the Nation's 16th President.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.
I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him. ~ Abraham Lincoln


On January 1, 1863 Lincoln did what he is most known for, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring forever free the slaves that were held across the Southern United States.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves ~ Abraham Lincoln

On April 14, 1865, Lincoln was assassinated at Ford's Theatre by John Wilkes Booth, an actor, who somehow thought he was helping the South. He was only president for 5 years, but in many people's eyes was the most influential president, of the 19th century, and perhaps ever.

The Lincoln Memorial ~ another monument to add to my travel wishes list.

New Abraham Lincoln 2009 stamp commemorating his 200th Birthday.

1 comments:

Ashley February 13, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

HALLELUJAH FOR ABE!!!! :)

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP