A Real Witch Hunt Story..
for Friday the 13th

>> June 13, 2008


Today is Friday the 13th, and appropriately I have found a story that relates. However, it's quite unsettling. I don't like it. I don't. I don't.

First, I ask the question what does the word "witch" mean? Here is the definition from www.dictionary.com:
witch

noun
1. a female sorcerer or magician
2. a being (usually female) imagined to have special powers derived from the devil
3. a believer in Wicca

Okay, so I think of witches as something that I dressed up as when I was 7 for Halloween.
So the story I found, is frankly, hard for me to understand. The author of the article even states that it is probably hard for the Western World to understand the how or why of this tragedy.

In Kenya this last month, there was a real and true witch hunt that went on, that started with school children finding a book of people that would die soon, and the witches that were to be responsible.
Here is the CNN article:
Deadly hunt for 'witches' haunts Kenya villagers
By David McKenzie
CNN

KEGOGI VILLAGE, Kenya (CNN) -- It may be difficult for modern-day Western cultures to fathom, but in Western Kenya, beliefs in ghosts and witches are very real. And sometimes they have deadly consequences. In late May, news outlets in Kenya told the story of 15 people, mostly elderly women, who were murdered in a witch hunt near the town of Kisii. The killings shocked the nation. Villagers said more than 100 people gathered machetes and knives and stormed the village of Kegogi after midnight.

"They started banging on the doors, they broke into the house and then they killed our grandmother inside," says Justus Bosire. "The mob was screaming and we panicked. We ran away and they came to our house and burned it to the ground."

When Bosire returned to his grandmother's house, he found her dead on the floor in a bed of embers. His father is missing.

To keep reading click here...
Another article that tells of happenings like these in Africa can be found here.

I can't help but think of the Salem Witch Trials.. and the the theory of

why can't everyone just get along?

2 comments:

Alisha Chase June 13, 2008 at 11:44 PM  

Your mind is so... different. I dont think i ever knew this Nicole.

Nicole June 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

I'm going to take that as a compliment.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP