I LOVE YOU Grandma

>> March 14, 2010

My Grandma Jean is moving today, into a Nursing home. I have very mixed feelings about it, the most predominant of which is sadness. Not necessarily because I think its the wrong decision, but because there has to be a decision made at all. I wish there was a way for her to move in with one of her children, instead of into a facility. I know facilities can be okay.. I worked in one, and it wasn't awful; and I work for a therapy company that works in skilled nursing facilities. I believe that they can be good for people - but it feels a lot different when it becomes MY grandma, instead of someone else's.

Grandma Jeaner is one of my favorite people, and I know that she's not as healthy as she once was. I just feel like there should be a better solution. I hope no one ever has to decide to move me into a Nursing home, I hope that I will have another option.

But this post isn't about me, and the decision for her shouldn't be about anyone but her, and her life. So today I am hoping and praying that this is the right decision for her, and that it is a decision that no one - especially her - will regret. I want her to be happy.

While we were having dinner with her last night, I started to think about where I would like to be when I'm her age. In theory, we all want to have good health, and a stable financial situation. Unfortunately, those are two things my Grandma no longer has.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to call her successful. She has five children that love her, and try to make her life the best it can be. Every one of her children would buy her a mansion with twenty four hour nursing care, with a physical therapist and personal chef, if they could. She has twelve grandchildren, and two great grandchildren (and one on the way) that adore her. She spoiled us so much when we were little, and every one of us would give her the moon.

Our family is funny like that, we are very supportive when we really need to be. I remember hearing comments more than once about our emergency room attendance. If anyone in our family is in the hospital, we all rush to the hospital, to be there for each other. Some people have 2 or 3 people in the waiting room, no, we have fifteen.

My grandma has had a very successful life in things that count, if we could pour our love into buckets for her, she'd have enough for Noah's flood. I want to make her life as happy and beautiful as possible, and I pray that this decision will get us there.

I love you Grandma Jeaner, forever and ever.



6 comments:

Just the 3 of us March 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM  

I know the feeling of having to see a grandma go into a nursing home. It was hardest on my mom, but we all knew it was the best thing to do. I have a lot of great memories visiting my grandma at the nursing home and meeting all her friends. I just loved walking into the room and seeing her face how excited she was to have a visitor. I promise it will get better and easier as time goes on. Just visit her lots :)

Anonymous,  March 14, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Wow dont make me cry nikki!

Shirley March 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

I am lucky that my grandparents haven't had to do that yet. It is definitely hard to watch I bet. Is the one she is going to not very good? I have always thought they would be nice because their food is there and entertainment is there. It's like college living all over again. :) I think Lauren is right, just visit lots. She will love it. :)

Alisha Chase March 14, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

No one can deny your family of love!! And just because this is a new stop on your grandma's adventure doesn't mean it's the end. I know that you guys will continue to shower her with love and support and maybe she will even have some fun! But i hope it is easier for all of you, because i know its hard now!! Keep your chin up! Your grandma knows how much you love her! Love ya bunches!!

Kim J March 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

That is awesome how supportive your family is! I'm sorry about your grandma. I hope it will be for the best. I know Derek's grandma was just put in a center and she is doing a lot better having someone there regulate her medications and meals.

Lina Buchanan March 21, 2010 at 12:34 AM  

You are a rockstar granddaughter, that's all I can say.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP