Seriously?!

>> February 9, 2010

Okay, so I'm sure everyone has heard all of the hubbub about the movie, Dear John. I was excited about it, not quite as excited as my sister (see here), but excited nonetheless. My mom, sister, and I went to see it on Saturday night.

I had heard from friends, and even from the lady at the Mayan express, that it was a movie to cry over. Well, I cried in UP, I cry during the sticky situations often shown on Greys Anatomy or Private Practice for hell sakes; I was expecting to cry.

But.. I didn't.

Not that it wasn't a good story, and for those who haven't seen it, I don't want to ruin it. But, there were a few touching moments, where I almost cried. But, I didn't really see.. what was so.. sad about it.

But that wasn't what was disappointing, I was okay with not crying, I mean, I don't NEED to cry in every movie I see. Right? But I really wasn't big on the ending. And, felt confused and left the movie thinking...

Seriously?!?


Rotten Tomatoes says this about the movie:

Built from many of the same ingredients as other Nicholas Sparks tearjerkers, Dear John suffers from its cliched framework, as well as Lasse Hallstrom's curiously detached directing.

I agree. And I don't usually agree with Rotten Tomatoes. Plus , anyone that knows me, knows that I absolutely adore The Notebook. Yes, that one requires a box of tissues, indeed.

But again, as with G.I. Shmoe, Channing Tatum was good. And the actor that played his dad did very well.. and the girl, Amanda Siegfried, was actually more believable than I thought. I really didn't think she would be very good at matching the same age and maturity as Channing. I just didn't love the story. Sigh..

6 comments:

Keri February 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

I really liked MOST of the movie. But the end was rather disappointing and confusing. But Channing Tatum is HOT! Sorry you have to hear your old mom say that but he is. :)

Just the 3 of us February 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

I rrrreally really want to see this movie. I can't wait to see it. I hope I like it. I'll have to let ya know. Either way, good eye candy :)

Ashley February 9, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

For some reason, I still want to see it, even though I bet I'll have the same reaction as you. I'll probably wait until it's out on DVD, though.

Anonymous,  February 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

I'd go watch it - if only to stare at Channing tatum for a while. ;)

Can you say HELLO YUMMY!

Alisha Chase February 10, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Well I read the book before going to see it, so it all totally fell into place and made sense to me.... I LOVED it and cried, and thought they were pretty accurate, But I guess i had background knowledge and may have understood it more....

Amanda M February 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

You didnt cry?!?! That's okay my friend!
Man, I did pretty good for most of the movie, but when he is reading the letter to his dad I LOST it!!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP