SERIOUSLY?

>> December 18, 2008

18 months ago, UNAMID peacekeeping forces were approved for Darfur. I remember being excited, relieved, thinking that at least it was a step in the right direction.. We were on our way to a solution. Well, 18 months later, we find out it hasn't really worked out, and it hasn't even gotten the full attention that it should have gotten. Yesterday, a report came out that says only 54% of the mission has been deployed. I'm not really sure what they are waiting for, but WOW I am pissed off, and I am amazed. I don't really understand.. And the worst part is that isn't the last of the bad news. Now reports are coming out, from the Darfur Consortium,  saying that THOUSANDS of people have been captured and forced to be sex slaves and slave workers by the Sudanese government, and Janjaweed militias. See this article on BBC for more information: Thousands made slaves in Darfur . Up to 300,000 people have died since conflict began in Darfur in 2003 and at least 2.7 million people have fled their homes. 

And one more article.. I really should make a post of the list of reasons I hate China. This article would definitely be included.China "deaf"& "blind" to human rights in Darfur - Osman this man, Salih Mahmoud Osman, is awesome.. Here's a little background information:
Salih Mahmoud Osman, a Sudanese human rights lawyer working in the Darfur region of Sudan, has been awarded the 2007 Sakharov Prize for freedom of thought. MEPs from across the political spectrum voted to honour Mr Salih for his work in trying to bring justice to the victims of civil war in the troubled region. Accepting the prize on Tuesday 11 December in Parliament's Chamber in Strasbourg, Mr Salih called for Europe and the international community not to abandon the people of Darfur.
Ich.. But on a better note.. I really like the following Christmas song by Anne Murray. I tried to find it on Youtube, but couldn't. So here are the lyrics: 
Three Wishes

If I had my way this Christmas
If all I would wish could be
Of all the great wishes
In a wonderful world
I'd only ask for three.

And if I could have three wishes
And if my first wish came true
There'd be peace on earth
Good will among men
And love in all that we do.

Can you imagine a world like that
What a wonderful world it would be
And then I would wish
It could go on forever
For people like you and me.

If I had my way this Christmas
And if the two others came true
My third wish would be
For now and forever
To share all my wishes with you.

My third wish would be
For now and forever
To share all my wishes with you...

2 comments:

Amanda M December 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

It's awesome that you are always so up to date on current events.
It's terrible how horrible people can be to each other. Our world is pretty screwed up in that department!

Kim J December 18, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Sex slaves! Ugh that makes me so sad to think that is this going on. You should write about China, how can they let these things happen!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP