Racism

>> October 16, 2008

Let us hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away, and that in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Racism. It's such an odd concept to me, and it seems as if it has been happening in one form or another since the beginning of time. I am reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and I really like it. However, it always makes me a little sad when I hear about the racism and prejudice that happened in Nazi Germany. Not only are there the horrors of the Holocaust genocide and the awfulness of it all; but the racism in general, before it went that far. The stars of David that were placed on the Jewish German's shops, clothes and houses. Like because there was a star of David, like just because they were a little different, this made it okay to treat them so terribly.

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think. ~ Adolf Hitler

Unfortunately, the United States hasn't escaped the scar of Racism. Because this great country has, as well. I never understand it, I guess I never will. But I am excited that we have a black man running for President - as an official party nominee, and one that 19 days before the Election, he is leading in the polls. Whether Barack Obama wins the Election and becomes the first African-American President of the United States, or not, he will have made history this year. And I hope, that if (in that very slim chance) he loses the Election, I hope that the next African-American man or woman, or when there is a Latino, American-Indian, Jew, Asian or an Arab runs for president there won't be people saying "Are we ready?". Shouldn't the poll numbers speak for themselves??

In the past 2 years I have often wondered, if there wasn't access to TV or internet, and no one knew that Barack Obama was African-American, and all you could listen to was him speak, or him debate on the Radio, and only hear the issues.. Would that change anything?

The only tired I was, was tired of giving in. ~ Rosa Parks

(on refusing to give up her seat on the bus to a white man)

The following video is of Donna Brazile, a Democratic strategist and Campaign Manager for the 2000 Al Gore campaign. If she looks familiar, that's because she's also a CNN contributor and a Democratic Super Delegate. What she says is interesting, it breaks my heart that not too long ago, she really was told to go to the back of the bus.


5 comments:

Just the 3 of us October 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

I love that video! Do you care if i copy it and put it on my blog??

Nicole October 16, 2008 at 10:32 AM  

Nope - go for it. Donna Brazile is amazing. :)

Kim J October 16, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

This is a good video! :D
Racism sucks!

Ashley October 16, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Racism is ridiculous. grr. YAY DONNA BRAZILE! haha.

Amanda M October 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM  

I really like the video!! You always find amazing one's to put on your blog!! You're awesome!!
And I totally agree with what you say about future elections!! I hope that people will stop looking at stupid, trivial things like ethnicity and religion because it really is about the issues!!
I may not be a Democrat, but I really was so excited when Obama was nominated!! How awesome that we are living through history!!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP