Thirty days hath September...

>> September 2, 2008

"My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something."
~ Groucho Marx

Oh man.. life is so crazy, isn't it? So, I know I just barely wrote about how I had a new job with America Reads and I was so excited, blah blah blah.. WELL, I am not working there anymore! I never really even did. The advisor, was.. for lack of a better word, stupid. And, the teacher I was to have worked with never got in touch with me, who knows who's fault that was, the teacher could have been completely innocent in the whole debacle, but I will never know. HOWEVER, I Do have a new job! I got the Book Festival Internship (see where I'm working here: utahhumanities.org), and I started last Monday. I really like it. It's going to be a challenge, but I think I am up for it. I really am excited to be working with a nonprofit, and I love books, and it's very interesting to me to see how an event like the annual book festival here in Salt Lake gets planned. There are so many details!

What else has happened since I have written.. I have been without a computer for a few days, and it's killing me! I hate not having a computer. It makes me feel so cut off from the world. Ick. Well, the Democratic Convention ended, and I loved every minute of Barack's speech. I will post it in full for those of you that didn't see it at the end of this post. I sincerely love that man. I really do. I think that when I get my Internet back and are able to type more I will do a whole post about why I think everyone should vote for him. So keep your eyes open. ;) hehe. Oh, and speaking of Barack, I love that everyone at my new job is a Democrat! It's a beautiful thing! (not that I'm republican prejudiced or anything...)

Oh, and school has started. Oh school... I always want to start and then once it's here, I'm like seriously? I have to keep doing this? I really need to just FINISH!!

I also have to say yay for friends! I spent time with three of my favorites this past week and I was very happy that I did. My friend Kim and I went to a place, that I now forgot it's name.. ha, they're famous for cookies? Anyway, I always love my times with Kim because she understands my opinionated, liberally democratic-ness, and it's awesome to talk to her about things! I just wish I could be taking her great Africa class with her, it sounds so great, and I am so jealous. Then, on Friday I went to a movie with my sister Ashley, because we were simply bored out of our minds and didn't have much to entertain ourselves with. We went to Jordan Commons to eat some of the Mayan Expresses Nachos, which has become our ritual each time the two of us go to a movie, since way back when the Two Towers Lord of the Rings movie came out. We saw Traitor with Don Cheadle, it was interesting, and made me think, but I'm not so sure it's a movie I would buy or anything. However I do love Don Cheadle, that I do. And then last night, I went to the Cheesecake Factory with my friend Amanda. We had an interesting waiter, who looked like Edward Norton.. and after fighting with him about my cheesecake that I got to go, without nuts!, it was a great night too. Amanda's great because she's such a peppy person.. it makes me be peppy, and that in itself is really cool.

I've also been reading Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince again, outloud, with my brother and sister. It's been really fun, I like that book but it has been so long since I read it! We planned on reading it because the movie was coming out in November, but now it's been changed to July, so we'll probably read the 7th one after this. But it has been good. Tim needs to read more, and this way it's a lot more fun, and we can help him understand things when things get confusing or she uses words like heir-loom, and he's like "say what?"

It also rained this weekend, I love the rain! I was scared about Hurricane Gustav though, so I'm glad that he subsided into a much smaller storm. Eek. I hate Hurricane Season.. But I do love Fall.. and I'm going to end my ramblings of today with why I do.

1. The leaves! not just the changing of the colors.. but the leaves on the
ground that go "crunch, crunch, crunch" as you walk. I'm excited for that!
2. School - yes, I know, school.. but it makes me feel very purposeful.
Like I am actually trying to make myself better or something.
3. Football! Yay! The NFL kickoff is in two days, and I am excited. Go Cowboys!
4. TV! - I am always so super exited once all of the reruns are over from the summer, and Hasselhoff and Pears stop judging America's Talent and we can go back to normal, with my Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill, ER (Carter's coming!), and my new favorite from the spring - Lipstick Jungle!
5. Sweatshirts
6. RAIN!
7. Voting: I get to flex my democratic muscles and share my voice each and every November.


and now I will close with the poem Groucho Marx was speaking of up above just there ^,

“Thirty days hath September, April, June, and November All the rest have thirty-one, Excepting February alone, And that has twenty-eight days clear
And twenty-nine in each leap-year.”

Oh, and here's Obama, my fave man.

3 comments:

Kim J September 2, 2008 at 9:16 PM  

I had fun at Paradise Cafe too. It is good to talk to you.
That sucks about the reading job. If you need another one you could check this out:

http://www.ascendalliance.org/page.php?cmd=view&id=52


P.S. I love Obama and the fall too!

Amanda M September 2, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

Awww!! You are so nice Nicole!! I'm seriously so glad you are my friend!!
And I love this post because I had no idea there was more to that "Thirty Days..." poem!! WOW!! I totally learned something new!!
And wahoo for fall!! My most favoritest season!! Yay for leaves and pumpkins and apple cider!!

Kim J September 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM  

P.S.S I can't wait for Lipstick Jungle too!

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP