August: much better than July!

>> August 13, 2008

I am employed! Yay. It took me awhile.. yes. But I think I have now found a job that I will really like. I am going to be an America Reads Tutor through UVU, where I will go to an Elementary school and help kids between Kindergarten and first grade with their reading skills. I am excited! It will only be part time - Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but this gives me time to goto school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am going to be looking for a way to make some extra money. My friend, Amanda and I might go down and work for the Desert Star playhouse. Or I might be working as a part time evening and weekend Nanny. Either way, I am excited because it means August has been much better than July. There is also an Internship with the IRC - International Rescue Committee, that I really REALLY want to be a part of, and now that I most likely won't be working on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons, I really could do it! I just need to try not to bite off more than I can chew..

OH and I also get to take my Grant Writing class that I've wanted to take for a few semesters! Somehow it opened up the other day after I found out I got my job.

The other great thing about August: The Olympics! I love watching the Olympics. I truly do. I'm a little miffed that the little "I say I'm sixteen, but I really just lost a tooth" girls from the Chinese Gymnastics Team won the Gold ahead of the Americans. Since, apparently, the Americans are playing by the age rules, and the Chinese.. Aren't. It's International Gymnastic Competition Law, to compete in a "senior level competition" (i.e.: Olympics, World's), that the Gymnast must be 16 at the time of competition, or turning 16 within the same calendar year. The Chinese got caught falsifying a girl's age in Sydney! The other stupid part is even after they got caught the girl still got to keep her Bronze medal. Sigh...

They are not 16!
But other than the Chinese Gymnastics's age problem, which in all honestly, that Alecia Sacramone basically messed up any chance of gold for the Americans anyway, we can thank Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson for the silver. I have loved the Olympics. My favorites are the swimming, and gymnastics, and I am excited for track to start. The best all-time moment, behind little Lin Hao, so far has to be this look on Michael Phelps' face.. Gotta love it! =)
Yay Go Team USA!
And the best part about August = it's almost Fall, and that my friends is the best season.

3 comments:

Amanda M August 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

I was so mad at the Alicia S. girl last night!!! Grrrr!! I know she was nervous, and she had a long wait time or whatever.. but still..... Nastia and Shawn were awesome and it's hard not to think that Alicia didnt pull her weight!! **sigh**
And the Chinese routines were amazing, but when their Olympians are not 16, it doesnt matter!! FRUSTRATING!!!
But I'm excited to watch the indiviual gymnastic stuff now!!
And the swimming has been awesome too!! I am so happy for Phleps!!

P.S. What is your resuce thing you were talking about??

Nicole August 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

It's the International Rescue Committee.. it's website is www.theirc.org. They have an internship program, that I've always wanted to do, but have always been working full time so I haven't really been able to. It would be working with their Youth Program, basically working with youth refugees from other countries. I am excited. I just have to go interview for it. So hopefully I will get it! =)

Kim J August 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

I totally want to do an internship at the IRC. You'll have to tell me all about it.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP