Haiti: My heart breaks for you.

>> January 15, 2010


I am so depressed about Haiti! I wish I could DO something. I mean, yeah, I've made the $10 donation to the International Red Cross, and I plan on donating to UNICEF this week. And, I know that my money will definitely go towards good things, I just wish I could do more. Or, perhaps, I wish more had been done before hand. Its very Hurricane Katrina-esque to me, let's be honest, I didn't know that New Orleans had a very poor side of town until after Katrina. But other people did! Important, influential people, that could have done something about the levees, and could have done something about urban development. Same goes for Haiti! I can't claim ignorance with that one. I knew about the "mud cakes" that women feed their children, not for nutritional value of any kind, but just so that their childrens stomachs will be full of something , so that they can feel some sort of relief from hunger pains. Now, in a country where that is common place, how can anyone expect them to be able to pull themselves out of this catastrophe? In some ways its ironic, because I'm devastated that so many people had to die.. but I'm excited that now at least people are now paying attention. I hope that we can say "Never again" as we did for New Orleans, and that we can truly assist Haiti in becoming a better place for its people. Because, my hell, its not okay for them to live like that, when they are soooo close to the United States. Call it my liberal guilt, that's okay, maybe that IS what it is, but we've got to do something.

Click here to learn about donating to UNICEF. (my favorite organization!)
and click here to learn about donating to the Red Cross - OR! just send the word "Haiti" in a text to 90999, and they automatically take $10 off of your phone bill.

2 comments:

Alisha Chase January 17, 2010 at 2:09 AM  

It just makes me incredibly sad... my heart completely goes out to them...

I am glad they have made it so easy to donate. If nothing else we can do that and hope that other help is there to support them! But i agree, unfortunate events have happened, but eyes have been opened!

Kim J January 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Good post. I feel the same way and hope things will get much better for them. It has been awesome to see how so many different countries have been stepping in to help. If only we could work together like this all the time and not just after disasters.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP