You'll Thank Me Later

>> August 14, 2009

I have been to Lagoon quite a few times this Summer, because I love Roller coasters, and that's what I do. However, I remember a not so happy ride that I had once on a Roller coaster. It went something like this:

My family and I were at a Lagoon Day one Summery Saturday, with my Mom's work. I was probably 9 or 10. I loved this one Roller coaster, the Colossus, which is a very fast roller coaster, complete with a super high initial climb, and thrilling drop that leads into a double loop-di-loop. No, the Colossus is not made for sissies. But I always loved it. I had never rode it without my parents hands over my hand, holding my hand tight as I grimaced on the way up. I hated that ride up.

Well, on this day, my mom's friend from work took me on the Colossus. No big deal, at least so I thought. She made me put my hands up in the air! And wouldn't let me put them down. I hated it (and her)! It was awful. I did not have fun, I did not enjoy, and I certainly did not thank her for it later.
Fast forward to the present day, and I love roller coasters, and you will hardly ever see me with my hands down on the coasters. But will you ever see me force anyone to go on one? No. Will you ever see me make a child ride it, or make them put their hands up when they don't want to? Hell No.

So, as you can imagine, this summer as I have seen countless parents FORCE their children to ride big scary rides, (even Wicked), it makes me sad. And very angry. I hate the adage of You'll Thank Me for it Later.. uhhhh, what if I won't? I still remember my traumatizing experience with my mom's friend, and how scared I was. It doesn't matter that I love the Colossus now. Ugh. It drives me nuts.

But this practice goes further than roller coasters. Do you think its right to force your kids to do something that they don't want to do, even if you think they'll regret not doing it later? I firmly believe its not okay to force them to do anything (if you can control it: some things are out of a parent's control). I want to have my child's trust, so that they know they can tell me how they feel about something, and I'll support them, no matter what.

.. and if they regret it later, I can help them deal with that.

What's your opinion?

5 comments:

Ashley August 14, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

Well, as usual, I agree with you. Those stupid people on Wicked forcing their young crying boy to go on it! WTF?! I'm glad he liked it though. And those pre-teen or teenager girls forcing that little girl on that ride and she still hated it? Geez!

Ashley August 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

I also have to say that your new comment thing is a pain in my arse! I hate it. You cannot see the post button so you have to tab down a few times to get to it! ugh! fix it! :) lubs.

Alisha Chase August 15, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

Yeah, I think it is good to ENCOURAGE kids, and sometimes they do enjoy things that surprise them. But forcing them to do something that really has no beneficial outcome, or difference in the world, is a little bit over the top..... I am not sure if i could think of a reasonable example of something that i think WOULD be a good idea to make someone do.... So yeah, i agree with you. But i i know that sometimes adults have to guide their children in the right direction. But if it is not life threatening, or life changing, I think it is ok for the kids to make their own choices. Especially with rides they feel comfortable with at Lagoon....

Alisha Chase August 15, 2009 at 1:18 AM  

I agree with ash.... YIKES that comment thing is crazy

Keri August 16, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

I agree with you Nic! My aunt used to tease me on rides to make the ride scarier. To this day I hate some of those rides. I think it is totally wrong to instill fear into your child. And that is what those parents are doing on some dumb Lagoon ride! Maybe the attendant should be able to refuse riders if they are crying whether they are with an adult or not.

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Say it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP